- Western Cape
Smiles and Sunshine
Montagu, the Gateway to the Karoo, is a village with soul and is hands down one of the most picturesque towns in the Western Cape. Travel through the spectacular Cogman's Kloof Pass and Montagu unfolds as a charming white-washed village. Once voted ‘Village of the Year’, not only for the spectacular views, beautiful architecture and healing hot mineral springs - but for the homeliness and hospitality of its people; a community of smiles and sunshine, warm and friendly. Situated in the beautiful Klein Karoo area, Montagu is approximately 180 km from Cape Town on the legendary Route 62, reputed to be the longest wine route in the world.
Montagu is a rock climbing paradise with over 300 bolted routes at all grades.
Hot Mineral Springs
The town of Montagu is also known for its hot mineral springs. The world famous Avalon Springs, plus Montagu Springs are most certainly worth a visit with many tourists visiting there, every year, to experience nature at its very best!
Montagu is incredibly charming, and the wine route along the way is breathtakingly beautiful. There are kilometres and kilometres of vineyards and orchards waiting to greet you, while the tantalising aroma of home-grown herbs and spices mischievously fills the air. If you're looking to appease your taste buds, there are freshly grown apples, peaches, apricots and pears in abundance. Montagu is filled with unparalleled treats for all your senses!
- Kleinhoekkloof Wines
- Mimosa Wines
- Montagu Cellar
Things to do and see
- Avalon Springs Resort - Uitvlugt St
- Montagu Springs Resort - Uitvlugt St
- Golf - Montagu Golf Course, Bath Street, on the way to the Hot water Springs
- Montagu Nature Garden - Van Riebeeck St
- Montagu Saturday Market - Euvrard Park in Bath Street (directly across from the Tourism Bureau)
- Arts & Crafts Route
- Hicks Art Gallery - 9 Joubert St
- Capedry Farmstall, Wine Boutique & Bistro - Main Road, R318
- Leiwater Dam - Barry/Bath St
- Montagu Dried Fruit & Nuts Factory Store - Kloof Padstal, Long St
In the vicinity
- Alpaca Paddocks - Alpacas, Products, Vegetables, 083 682 3828
- Hiking trails - info at Tourism Office, Bath St
- Mountain Biking - info at Tourism Office, Bath St
- Rock climbing - Adventure Guide Justin Lawson 082 696 4067
- Old English Fort (Fort Sidney) - 4km from Montagu towards Ashton
- Guano Cave Resort - 5.8km outside Montagu on the R62 road to Barrydale
- Viljoensdrift Wines & River Cruises - R317 between Robertson and Bonnievale
- Wine Tours - Han Gunst of GZA Tours, 076 247 5638
- River Cruises - Breede River Goose, Kelvin, 082 759 5727
- Protea Tractor Ride & Potjie Kos - Protea Farm, 023 614 3012, 32km along the R318
Steeped in History
Now a tourists’ paradise, Montagu was once cut off from the rest of the surrounding towns due to its impenetrable nature. The rocky cliffs and uneven tracks were impossible for anyone to navigate. Thanks be to Thomas Bain who built a pass and a tunnel making the region accessible. People could then trade in this area and the population slowly began to increase. They set up farms and orchards for their livelihood. On one such farm called Uitvlugt, the enchanting town of Montagu came into being, way back in the year 1851. The town was named after John Montagu, the Colonial Secretary of Cape Town. He visited the infant town during the initial days and four years later, the first school opened and was soon followed by the construction of a church.
Montagu has some of the best-preserved homes from the ox-wagon days, in fact there are the most national monuments in one street than any other town in the country. Steeped in history Montagu has also become famous for its awesome mountain vistas and incredible rock formations, orchards of fruit and blossoms and delicious local wines and cuisine. Once upon a time Montagu even had its own currency.
Fast becoming a favourite place for folks who need to escape the rat race, Montagu with its good food and great people waits to welcome you!
De notre galerie
Montagu (quartiers / régions)
The suburb of Bergsig forms part of the town of Montagu in the district of Cape Winelands in the province of Western Cape (WC), South Africa.En savoir plus
Crée: ; Dernière mise à jour: